Sunday, August 9, 2009

Implementation Plan

I was unsure as to whether I was supposed to include the implementation plan on the blog or email it, but most seem to be doing it on the blog so I will follow suit. Actually, I am very glad that this is where they are because it is fun to read them.

I already have a wiki for NPHS library, but it is static and I would very much like to make it more evolving and interactive. In view of this it seemed most logical for my implementation plan to involve making some of these changes.

Just before I left school last spring I added a page for my student reading group, Patriot Readers (our school mascot is the Patriot), but did not really do anything with the page. I intend for it to name the book we are reading for the month, the date of our next meeting, and the reading list for this school year as well as past years. Then I want to create a blog for book discussion and link it to this page. I think I will have it only open to members of the reading group at first, which is usually from 10 - 14 students. I intend to make it available to more students later but don't know if it will ever be entirely open to the public--I have to see how it all goes. I would like this blog to include discussion on the book we are reading and whatever else students are reading. I will also use it to talk about good books I read and want to recommend or tell students about new books I just placed in the library. Students can also recommend books for the library or to read in Patriot Readers.

To make it even a bit more exciting, I think I will have students create an avatar to use in the blog, at least the Patriot Readers kids. I thought that activity was really fun and I bet they could come up with some really interesting ones when they aren't limited in any way but common decency!

The second thing I would like to attempt this year is a student book review using VoiceThread. I would have the student come to the library and facilitate their particular Thread, but have them all part of the one package. Then I would like to link this project to my library wiki and advertise in school that student book reviews are available if someone wants a recommendation from a peer. I would probably start this with my Patriot Readers students and students who regularly come to check out books. I think students would be more likely to listen to something like this than to read written reviews, and I think it could become very interesting and exciting. Reading advisory is one of the really fun connections with kids. I learn so much about them and what kids want to read. I will have to work with the kids so they can get across the gist of the book but not reveal the ending or important happenings in their reviews.

For my own personal use, I want to improve on and build up my Google Reader and my Del.icio.us page so they are truly useful to me at school.

If I truly get all of that done this school year I will impress myself beyond words. I just think all of them would make my library a little closer to becoming a Library 2.o facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment