Thursday, July 16, 2009

Week 4, Thing 8, RSS Feeds.

I made a GoogleReader account and subscribed to seven newsfeeds. Four were from class suggestions (Anchorage Daily News, Readers Club, Unshelved, and Books from the San Jose Mercury newsfeed). I also added two news sources I love in my own life (MSNBC and BBC News) and a YA Literature one (ALAN Online--Assembly of Literature for Addolescents). I searched for a good library one but the ALA newsfeed has not been updated since March 2008 and an AkLA one I found was only about the Kodiak conference in March. I plan to continue to look for good ones in this arena and more good YA literature reviews and articles. I will use the reviews as aids in formulating my book orders, and I am always looking for new ideas for exciting programming or ideas for my high school library.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that for a long time I just didn't see the utility of RSS - But I have been converted. I have to be really careful how many things I add to my RSS or I just don't have time to keep up with it. It is invaluable though in keeping me in touch with what is going on professionally and I have a few favorites (Like Terri Lesesne's book blog) that I read consistently.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am coming to that conclusion myself. I have already deleted several of my first additions and added a couple new ones that are more to the point and not choking me with feeds. I will check out the Terri Lesesne's book blog.

    ReplyDelete