Friday, July 17, 2009

Week 5, Thing 11, Award Winning Applications and NING

This was also fun. I explored a cooking site and a book site, both passions of mine. I tried IMCooked and watched several videos. I was looking for nonstandard recipes and found one on stuffed grape leaves that would have been helpful to have had access to the first time I made them! It was fun but didn't really engage me enough to stay there. I next tried books and went to Biblio.com, which will be helpful at work. I have often looked for books that are out of print or a used copy of a book when I didn't want to pay full price. Amazon.com is good for that most of the time and I have also used Powells.com. Biblio.com surpasses them both though. They cover bookstores in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and Europe. They include textbooks, used books, out of print books, and rare books. Prices were low ($2 for some of the used books but went as high as $225,000 for a Hemingway book. The site also included forums on book repairs, book identification, and evaluations. A really nifty and easy to use site.

The Ning I ended up joining was KnitPicks, as knitting is another passion. I looked at several different knitting Nings, but this one really looks great. There are videos, chatrooms, podcasts, and all kinds of stuff. It has a large membership and a staff listed, including pictures, so I can even get help from an individual. I think I will have fun with this site, but it will not be of any use at work.

1 comment:

  1. AH, my friend Martina, who is teaching me to knit ( I have done a baby sweater, 1 1/2 socks (yeah, I'm still working on that second sock) and several wash cloths) and she is a big fan of Knit Picks. I'm glad you were able to find a great ning to use.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete