Friday, July 31, 2009

Week 9, Thing 22, Ebooks and Audio Ebooks

World Ebook Fair is an interesting site to play around with. Though I had used the Guttenberg Project in the past I had not used this site that incorporates Guttenberg along with so much else. If only the average high school student were more interested in the classics! I did have trouble locating much in the line of children's classics, for example the E.B. White books. They must not be public domain yet.

I listened to the schoollibrary.com video and it looks like a site that fits the description of making information available so that we can have buildingless schools. I then went to "Ebooks About Everything" and searched for Obama and found 42 titles. So there is already a great deal of information out there in ebook format.

Librivox is a great site to send students who want an Audiobook of a required classic when our library copy is already checked out. It was easy to search and, on my fast connection at home, the first chapter of Bleak House only took a minute to download and the first chapter of Pride and Prejudice only about 6 seconds. Some titles had more than one version so that if the listener didn't like a voice or accent, there were other options. The hits also gave a connection to the ebook on Guttenberg and referenced one or more wikipedia pages on authors, time periods, etc. I know I will refer students to this site. Unfortunately many of them probably do not have fast internet at home, and I know this would be unbelievably tedious on dialup connection. This is also the site where I made an RSS to a podcast so I should become very familiar with it in the future.

I had considered purchasing ebooks for school so had researched audible.com at that time. They have a nice, current collection and the prices are pretty reasonable. I checked for the Twilight series and they had the entire collection at around $40 each, not too steep for a massively popular title.

I don't do a lot with ebooks myself because I prefer to read with a book in hand. However, I am on the verge of ordering a Kindle so travel is lighter with such strict weight limits now. I do want to set myself up with whatever device I need or add-ons to my computer that allow me to use these online free audio-ebooks when I am on a driving trip!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I have a kindle....I adore my kindle. I really thought that I was going to miss the feel of a book in my hands.... I got over it really fast. Highly recommend the kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will get a kindle. I love the idea of carrying around all those books, newspapers, magazines. I also love the instant gratification of downloading a book the instant I want it instead of running to town or waiting for the book to arrive in the mail. Yum.

    ReplyDelete