Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Week 6, Thing 13, Del.icio.us

I have been interested in setting up a Del.icio.us account for some time, but it was just one of those things I kept putting off. It was always frustrating to me to not have the same bookmarks on various computers. So today I set up a page for myself, tagged most of the bookmarks, and even added a couple more bookmarks. I also changed the name of a couple of my tags once I got going. I think I am going to really like it. I am going to work on fine tuning it so it is of optimum value. It will make it so much easier if I want to help a student when I am on the floor--I won't have to go back to my desk to use my computer to find a site that I know will answer a question or help a student research with more speed and success.

I think Del.icio.us would make an awesome research tool for students at school. I need to explore and see if there is a way I can set one up that could be accessed by students that would contain info on searching, evaluating websites, citing sources, and all kinds of helpful stuff. Thanks for making this one of the tools in this class.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious is also a great thing when your computer goes down and they have to reimage it - yup, found that one out the hard way.

    Being able to use it for sharing research lists is great. I also like that you can see how popular the link is. However, there are some concerns about how open the lists are once you get to them. I think this is where it is really important that we teach kids how to evaluate and use the internet safely.

    ReplyDelete