Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Week 6, Thing 15, Librarian 2.0

I read all of the prespectives as they just kind of flowed from one to the other. Rick Anderson resonated with me because I really can't bear the idea of the demise of the library as a beloved depository of all kinds of wonderful material and information. I have so many fond memories of visits to our formal Carnegie library as a child growing up in the Midwest.

However, I also value what the internet has brought to the information world, made even more exciting and interactive with Web 2.0 tools. I realize that the Milleniums are wired differently than my generation and don't feel that same nostalgia for library 1.0. In order to serve the information needs of this generation and gen X and Y, libraries have to become much more than collections. Dr. Wendy Schultz put it in perspective--things will continue to change and each phase will just be incorporated into and expanded by the next phase. Library 3.0 sounds pretty wild though. I wonder how soon to expect it--will I be retired by then?

My challenge is to figure out how to expand my library--how to become much more a library 2.0. My wiki is a start, but there is so much more that I can do with it to make it interactive and vital. Can I make it a place that is usable from IPhones and homes, making it unnecessary for students to have to wait until we are open in the morning to access needed information. Hopefully I can move seamlessly into the Library 2.0 world.

No comments:

Post a Comment