Thursday, July 16, 2009

Week 4, Thing 9, Useful Blogs and Feeds

I found this almost a bit frustrating because I searched so much and found so little that was useful. I will discuss each tool that I used briefly. All my searches were for YA literature or young adult literature.
Bloglines Searchtool: Posts search would only be useful if I was looking for comments on a specific book. Feeds search only found a total of 4 sites and one was a pay to subscribe EBSCO site. The only useful one was on middle school books.
School Library Blogs was interesting and I subscribed to it.
Syndic8 was slow and the format wasn't friendly.
Technorati was easy to use and I like the arrangement, but in the time I spent there I had nothing to show. Lots of useless stuff.
Blogdigger.com was a broken link. I even tried a google search for blogdigger.com and came to the same deadend.
Topix.net was interesting--I like that it automatically came up to local news. The ads and appearance of the page bothered me.
Google Blog Search was my favorite. I located one helpful blog that was linked to a website so subscribed to that. I think this is the searcher I will be inclined to use.
BlogPulse only found one applicable hit when I searched CSLA 2.0.
I don't see myself getting involved in a lot of blogs as I think the time involved would not reap the benefits I might find in other avenues. I will try to find more sites to prove that statement false.

1 comment:

  1. Most of the good blogs and feeds that I have found have been through recommendations and professional reading. Even at that, I still have more blogs than I can keep up with and I know that there are others out there that I am not reading....but I wouldn't be in contact with even the info that I am able to keep up with if I didn't do the RSS so it is definitely a win.

    I find googleblog search better than technorati. I know that techno... is supposed to be the supper blog index but I just don't find it as useful myself.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete